Choosing the Right Agent
Buying or selling a home is one of the most complex transactions you may ever undertake. Your first step involves deciding how you will approach your home search or sale. Who will you work with throughout this process, and how will you work with them?
As a Buyer
Most buyers today choose to have a RE/MAX agent represent their interests in a real estate transaction. This is also known as Agency Representation (or fiduciary representation), which simply means that the agent you hire is legally bound to represent your interests. This involves the highest standard of care and extreme loyalty to you, the “client”, and allows them to provide the full range of services that buyers need and deserve.
Tips to help you select the right real estate professional:
- Ensure the person you select is someone you trust, who listens and respects your views and is someone you feel comfortable working with.
- Make sure they are knowledgeable and know the current real estate market conditions.
- Don’t be afraid to ask them about the experience and past results.
- Choose someone with a good reputation. At RE/MAX, client and agent referrals account for 70% of business. Talk to friends, family and colleagues.
- RE/MAX agents that carry the ABR® designation (Accredited Buyer Representative) are skilled in understanding and responding to the specific needs of buyers. Consider looking for an agent with an ABR® designation before you look for a home and you’ll be served, not sold.
As a Seller
When it comes to selling your home, hiring a real estate agent not only means less work, worry, and risk, it means hiring someone who is knowledgeable and well versed in all aspects of the real estate industry.You want someone who knows your neighbourhood, your community, and has the experience necessary to sell your home quickly and for the best price.
Choosing to work with a Real Estate Professional means choosing someone who will help you with the following throughout the entire transaction:
- Determine the best asking price for your home.
- RE/MAX Agents are professionals who have access to the tools and technology they need to market your home to sell.
- Prepare your home for sale and recommend services to ensure your home is ready for showings.
- You will receive regular updates and information on the progress your agent is making in selling your home and any changes in the market that may affect the sale.
- Review offers with you and handle any negotiations with the buyers.
- Your agent will help before closing
What are the Risks of Selling Your Home Yourself?
If you decide to sell your home yourself, it is wise to know the risks you could run into. Take a look at the risks below and do your best to avoid them:
- Incorrect pricing that turns off potential buyers.
- Properly understand all legal matters disclosed in writing to protect your interest.
- Safety is a big issue when showing your home. You must plan ahead when it comes to showing your home, and take all potential threats into consideration.
- Have you been practicing your negotiation skills? Improper negotiation can lose you money or cause you to end up with unrealistic terms.
- Not being familiar with all aspects of the transaction including the inspection and financing.
At the end of the day, the choice to hire a Real Estate Professional is yours to make. Keep in mind that at RE/MAX, we always have agents available who are willing to answer your home buying and selling questions.